Creamy and hearty winter soup – or any time of year.
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 package Italian chicken sausage, peeled and cubed (optional)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or vegetarian chicken-flavored broth)
- 3 Tbs chopped parsley
- 1 sprig thyme (fresh)
- 1 sprig rosemary (fresh)
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 2 teaspoons majoram
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or dash of Frank’s sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Carrots (sliced)
- 2 large stalk celery (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or juice from 1/2 a lemon)
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on brown setting of slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, and sausage and cook until onion is starting to caramelize.
- Purée the beans, stock, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme, rosemary (and other herbs).
- Add the purée, celery, carrots, and bay leaf to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving.