A satisfying one-pot dinner in hardly more time than it takes to baby-sit a risotto
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chorizo, sliced
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups Spanish short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat stock in a saucepan or microwave in large measuring cup. Add saffron and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 12- to 14-inch paella pan or cast-iron skillet. Add sausages and sauté on medium heat until lightly browned. Remove.
- Add onion, bell peppers and garlic to same pan. Sauté until soft.
- Stir in paprika, rice and tomato paste. Strain stock and add. Return sausages to pan. Stir once, season liquid to taste and cook, uncovered, on medium about 25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and place sheet of parchment paper on surface for 10 minutes. Remove parchment, scatter parsley on top and serve, making sure to include any crusty bits that cling to pan with each portion.