A hearty and creamy mushroom pasta dish without the cream.
- 8 oz papperdelle pasta (or fettuccine)
- 24 oz small to medium portabella mushrooms, sliced thin.
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 – 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 -2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- A dash or two of dry white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta to al dente
- Heat oil in large frying pan
- Add garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning to oil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until turning golden, about 5 minutes. Add a little white wine as necessary to prevent scorching.
- Prepare béchamel sauce as per instructions below.
- Add sauce to frying pan, mix throughly, and warm to serving temp.
- Scald the milk in . Keep it warm over very low heat.
- Melt the butter in a separate saucepan over low heat. When it’s bubbling, add the flour and whisk until it forms a golden paste, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, add the hot milk in a steady stream. Bring the milk to a gentle simmer and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the nutmeg and the cheese, and serve at once