A classic and easy creamy pasta dish made with mushroom, garlic, cheese and spinach.
- 8 ounces (weight) linguine pasta, uncooked (same amount of other pasta may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces chicken broth (vegetable broth may be substituted)
- 8 ounces whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 ounces (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces (weight) Gruyere cheese (or Gouda), shredded
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- Begin cooking pasta according to package instructions.
- Whisk together flour, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- While pasta cooks, in a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil begins to ripple add sliced mushrooms, sauté for 6 minutes. Add minced garlic, sauté for 2 more minutes until garlic just begins to brown.
- Whisk flour, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper mixture into mushrooms and garlic, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese, stir until cheese has melted.
- Mix in spinach, allow to wilt.
- Add drained pasta to skillet, toss to coat.