Alternating layers of buttery-rich golds and earthy sweet potatoes become even more delicious with Parmesan cheese and Gruyere cheese.
- 2 pounds small or medium sweet potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces grated Gruyère cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; toss.
- Add about 3 tablespoons milk to prepared pan. Arrange 1 layer of potatoes, shingle-style, over milk. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Repeat layers with remaining milk, potatoes, and Parmesan until pan is full. Top with Gruyère.
- Cover pan with foil; bake 35 minutes. Uncover; bake until browned and bubbly and knife slides easily through potatoes, about 30 more minutes. Cool for 45 minutes before serving.